photo: Miss Mustard Seed Interiors
How to mix milk paint (scroll down to view pdf of how-to-guide)
- Mix 1 part water to 1 part milk paint powder.
- Paint may be mixed in a blender, or using a milk frother, or in a container with a whisk or brush.
- Add water in first and then add the powder incrementally. You may also do the reverse and simply add water onto the powder.
- Mix for 1-3 minutes until water is absorbed into the powder and the mixture is relatively smooth.
- Water to powder ratio may be adjusted to achieve desired consistency.
- Test your consistency on a spare piece of wood. Your mixture should provide good one coat coverage.
- If your mixture is too thin it will be more transparent and stain like. Add more powder to thicken and stir again.
- Excess can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
- Stir frequently while using as the pigments will settle to the bottom of the container.
- Typically 1-2 coats is requried.
- Allow 30 minutes between coats.
→ Clean milk painter frother once you get the right consistency for your milk paint.
*Disclaimer: Color swatches shown in photos may vary by monitor and may not match actual color.
► BACK TO MILK PAINT PAGE